List of Courses Offered at the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi, FUAM – Are you interested in studying at the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi (FUAM), one of the three universities of agriculture in Nigeria? Do you want to know the courses and programmes that are available in this prestigious institution? If yes, then you are in the right place.
Table of Contents
In this blog post, we will provide you with a comprehensive and updated list of all the undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered at FUAM. We will also give you some information about the admission requirements, faculties, and departments in FUAM.
FUAM, formerly known as the University of Agriculture Makurdi, was established in 1988 by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a specialized university for agricultural education and research. The university is located in Makurdi, the capital city of Benue State, in the north-central region of Nigeria.
FUAM has a vision to be a leading institution of excellence in agricultural and technological innovation for sustainable development. The university has a mission to provide high-quality practical training to students to become professionally competent and confident graduates capable of boosting agricultural production in Nigeria and Africa.
FUAM has 10 faculties and 65 departments offering various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The university also has several research institutes and centres, such as the Institute for Agricultural Research and Extension Services, the Centre for Agrochemical Technology and Environmental Research, and the Centre for Food Technology and Research.
FUAM has been accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC) and recognized by relevant professional bodies, such as the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), and the Veterinary Council of Nigeria (VCN).
Undergraduate Courses Offered at FUAM
FUAM offers a wide range of undergraduate courses in various fields of agriculture, science, engineering, management, education, and veterinary medicine. The courses are grouped into four colleges: College of Agricultural Economics and Extension (CAEE), College of Agricultural and Science Education (CASE), College of Engineering (COE), and College of Science (COLSCI).
The duration of the undergraduate programmes is four or five years, depending on the course. The admission requirements for the undergraduate programmes include:
- A minimum of five credit passes in O’level subjects, including English Language, Mathematics, and three relevant subjects, obtained at not more than two sittings.
- A satisfactory score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
- A pass in the post-UTME screening test conducted by FUAM.
- For direct entry candidates, a minimum of two A’level passes or equivalent qualifications in relevant subjects.
The following is a complete list of undergraduate courses offered at FUAM:
- Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Agricultural Economics and Farm Management
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Science and Education
- Animal Science
- Banking and Finance
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Crop And Environmental Protection
- Crop Production
- Education and Biology
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and Integrated Science
- Education and Physics
- Electrical / Electronics Engineering
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Food Science and Technology
- Forestry And Wildlife Management
- Home Economics
- Home Science and Management
- Industrial Physics
- Mathematics / Computer Science Education
- Mathematics / Statistics Education
- Mechanical Engineering
- Plant Breeding And Seed Science
- Soil Science
- Statistics / Computer Science Education
- Statistics Education
- Veterinary Medicine
Postgraduate Courses Offered at FUAM
FUAM also offers various postgraduate courses leading to the award of Postgraduate Diploma (PGD), Master’s degree (M.Sc, MPH, MEng, MBA etc), and Doctorate degree (Ph.D) in various fields of agriculture, science, engineering, management, education, and veterinary medicine. The courses are offered under six faculties: Faculty of Agriculture (FOA), Faculty of Engineering (FOEN), Faculty of Management Sciences (FMS), Faculty of Science (FOS), Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (FVM), and Faculty of Education (FOE).
The duration of the postgraduate programmes varies depending on the course and the mode of study. The admission requirements for the postgraduate programmes include:
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of second class lower division or its equivalent from FUAM or any other recognized university in the relevant field of study.
- A Postgraduate Diploma with a minimum of credit pass or its equivalent from FUAM or any other recognized university in the relevant field of study (for candidates seeking admission into Master’s degree programmes).
- A Master’s degree with a minimum of 60% average score or its equivalent from FUAM or any other recognized university in the relevant field of study (for candidates seeking admission into Doctorate degree programmes).
- A satisfactory score in the postgraduate entrance examination conducted by FUAM.
- A proposal and an oral defense of the proposed research topic (for candidates seeking admission into Doctorate degree programmes).
The following is a complete list of postgraduate courses offered at FUAM:
Faculty of Agriculture
- PGD in Agricultural Economics
- PGD in Agricultural Extension and Communication
- PGD in Crop Production
- PGD in Crop Protection
- PGD in Soil Science
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Agricultural Economics
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Agricultural Extension and Communication
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Animal Breeding and Physiology
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Animal Nutrition
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Animal Production
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Crop Breeding
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Crop Physiology
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Crop Protection
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Soil Chemistry
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Soil Fertility and Plant Nutrition
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Soil Physics
Faculty of Engineering
- PGD in Agricultural Engineering
- PGD in Civil Engineering
- PGD in Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- PGD in Mechanical Engineering
- M.Eng and Ph.D in Agricultural Engineering (with options in Farm Power and Machinery, Soil and Water Engineering, Food Processing Technology, Irrigation Engineering, Renewable Energy Technology)
- M.Eng and Ph.D in Civil Engineering (with options in Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, and Transportation Engineering)
- M.Eng and Ph.D in Electrical/Electronics Engineering (with options in Power Systems Engineering, Electronics/Telecommunications Engineering, and Control Systems Engineering)
- M.Eng and Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering (with options in Production Engineering, Thermofluids Engineering)
Faculty of Management Sciences
- PGD in Accounting
- PGD in Business Administration
- PGD in Banking and Finance
- MBA (with options in Accounting, Business Administration, Banking and Finance)
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Accounting
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Business Administration
Faculty of Science
- PGD in Biochemistry
- PGD in Botany
- PGD in Chemistry
- PGD in Computer Science
- PGD in Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Science
- PGD in Microbiology
- PGD in Physics
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Biochemistry
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Botany (with options in Plant Physiology, Plant Taxonomy, Plant Ecology, Plant Pathology, and Mycology)
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Chemistry (with options in Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry)
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Computer Science
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Mathematics (with options in Algebra, Analysis, Differential Equations, and Numerical Analysis)
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Microbiology (with options in Environmental Microbiology, Food Microbiology, Industrial Microbiology, and Medical Microbiology)
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Physics (with options in Geophysics, Solid State Physics, Nuclear Physics)
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- PGD in Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- MVPH and Ph.D in Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- MVPM and Ph.D in Veterinary Parasitology
- MVPM and Ph.D in Veterinary Pathology
- MVPM and Ph.D in Veterinary Microbiology
- MVPM and Ph.D in Veterinary Epidemiology
Faculty of Education
- PGDE in Education
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Curriculum and Instruction
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Educational Administration and Planning
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Educational Psychology
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Guidance and Counseling
- M.Ed and Ph.D in Science Education
I hope this blog post has given you a clear picture of the courses offered at the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi (FUAM). If you are interested in applying for any of the courses, you can visit the official website of FUAM at www.uam.edu.ng for more information on the admission process, fees, academic calendar, and other relevant details.
FUAM is a great choice for anyone who wants to pursue a career in agriculture or related fields. The university has a reputation for excellence in teaching, research, and innovation. The university also has a conducive learning environment with modern facilities and qualified staff.
If you have any questions or comments about this blog post, please feel free to leave them below. I will be happy to answer them as soon as possible. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day.