NDA PAST QUESTIONS ON GEOGRAPHY 2010
Instructions: Study the map of Obodo Basin and use it to answer questions 1-5.
1. The Southern part of the map area has very few settlements because
A. of the high incidence of river-borne diseases
B. its annual rainfall is too low for agriculture
C. of its rugged relief
D. of its infertile soil.
2. The area marked Y in the north-west is most likely to be ideal for the cultivation of
B. sugar cane
D. Oil palm
3. The inhabitants of the map area are not likely to engage in ___.
A. fruit growing
C. cattle rearing
4. Which of the following statements best describes the map area?
A. Most of the towns are located on defensive sites
B. Most of the people in the area engaged in lumbering
C. The northern part of the area is fast developing as the settlements are linked by secondary roads
D. There is flourishing trade between the inhabitants of Owu and Odansi.
5. The general topography of the area is a good example of an
C. flooded land
6. Which of the following countries has the highest population?
7. The Principal difference between a nucleated settlement and a dispersed settlement is that:
A. It contains more buildings and more people.
B. It is compact, that is the buildings are clustered together,
C. It often occurs in legions of intensive farming.
D. It is usually at the meeting point of roads.
8. Workable deposits of petroleum or crude oil usually occur in
A. Sedimentary rocks which are adjacent to large bodies of water such as sea
B. Sedimentary rocks lying between layers of impervious rocks in gently folded structures
C. hot deserts
D. bedrock of epi-Continental seas
9. Which climate type is characterized by high uniform temperature: heavy, well-distributed rainfall throughout the year, with no distinct season?
A. Cool temperature eastern margin
B. Tropical marine
C. Tropical monsoonD. Equatorial
10. The energy received from the sun at a particular place is known as:
11. All the following can be found in the upper course of a river except
12. A portion of a road AB which slopes uphill at an angle of 70 is represented on a mapof scale 4 inches to the mile by a line of length 3.3 inches. Find the length of AB in yards.
A. 1560 yds
B. 227 yds.
C. 726 yds
D. 1480 yds.
13. What is the difference in local time between Paris (Lat 48°50'N, Long 2° 20' E) and Bombay (Lat.18°55'N, Long 72° 54'E)?A. 4hrs 42min.
C. 5hrs 15mins
D. 5hrs 20mins
14. Urban centres are best distinguished from rural settlements by their ___.
A. Morphology and demography
B. Situation and function
C. Threshold and Ranges functions
D. Morphology and Location
15. Most of the heat received by the atmosphere comes directly from ___.
C. the sun's radiation
D. the earth's surface
16. Which of the following statistical mapping techniques is most suitable for showing the spatial distribution of cattle in the different northern states of Nigeria?
A. Dot map
C. Pie graph
D. Proportional circles.
17. The flow diagram is the most appropriate mapping technique to use in showing
A. wind directions at different stations
B. movements of migrants between states
C. proportion of birds population in each state.D. man/land ratio in each state.
18. In a divided circle illustrating the world's export of crude oil, the section taken up bythe share of a certain country measures 72°. The share of that country's export expressed in percentage is ___.
19. At the summer solstice (June 21), which of the following latitudes will have the shortest night?
20. The rotation of the earth on its axis ___.
A. causes the varying lengths of day and night
B. is responsible. for the change of the seasons
C. causes day and night
D. delimits the tropics
21. When it is noon at the Greenwich Meridian, the time is 5.30 p.m. on longitude
A. 75° 30'W
B. 82° 30'E
C. 82° 30'W
22. Which of the following sedimentary rocks is mechanically formed?
23. Under which of the following climates would you expect physical weathering to be normally not active?
B. Hot Desert
C. Warm Temperate
24. Which of the following Iaod roans results from wind deposition?
25. Which of the following requirements virtually limits the real distribution of reef-building corals to the tropical arid gob-tropical zones?
26. An instrument used for measuring wind speed is ___.
B. cup anemometer
27. An occurrence of volcanoes is closely related to regions. that have been intensely ___.
28. A depression between two hills that enhances communication is ___.
A. rift valley
B. a knoll
C. a pass
D. a saddle
29. The Mediterranean climate region of North Africa favours the cultivation of ___.
30. The area where two major rivers meet to form a major river is a ___.
31. The main characteristic of a river entering the sea is __.
A. sluggishness and deposition
B. evaporation and equatorial forest
C. deep and straight banks
D. large quantity of water and high speed.
32. Jos and Yola lie on the same latitude but have different temperatures and rainfall due to ___.
A. proximity of Jos to Abuja
B. rotation of the earth
C. altitude of Jos
D. distance between Jos and Yola
33. South-West winds from the sea blowing into West Africa bring
A. adiabatic wind
B. moisture-laden wind
C. land breezeD. low-pressure wind
34. Lake Chad is shared by ___.
A. Nigeria. Tchad, Cameroun only
B. Cameroun, Tchad and Niger only
C. Niger, Tchad and Cameroun only
D. Nigeria, Cameroun, Tchad and Niger
35. Enugu is famous for the mining of __.
36. The variable which is both a control and an element of weather and climate is ___.
37. The greatest threat to the world's wildlife population is ___.
A. the poor management of game reserves
B. the development of zoological gardens
C. excessive hunting
D. the destruction of habitats
38. The formation of coal is associated with ___.
A. landslides and deposition
B. earth movement and pressure
C. heat and pressure
D. earth tremor and heat.
39. A hazard that could be traced directly to ozone layer depletion is the ___.
A. escalation or the melting of polar and temperate icecaps
B. introduction of ultraviolet rays into the troposphere
C. submergence of numerous coastal settlements in the world extension of desert-like conditions to the savanna.
40. An example of a landform produced by glaciation is ___.
A. a cirque
B. a sand-dune
C. an ox-bow lake
D. an inselberg
Share This Post: If you believe this post will be useful to others, please share it using the buttons below!
Post a Comment