Section A: Comprehension
Nigeria has witnessed several religious crises. The Maitatsine carnage is an example. It is painful that whenever there is any form of crisis in the country, the government only reacts by setting up a commission of inquiry. Quite often, such inquiries are used as instruments for destroying political opponents. In the end, neither the government nor the people learn lessons from the findings of such inquiries.
SECTION B: LEXIS AND STRUCTURE
12. Liberia, ___ is their home country, has a good plan for their children.
13. The child ____ we saw in the street is called Dele
14. He gave me that____.
A. your book
B. book of yours
D. need of mine
15. The board, ___took the decision, is far.
16. Everybody is at home but ____.
20. Her manner is not compatible her religious program.
21. The chair ___ as he sat down.
22. The brakes of the car ___.
D. none of the above
23. Babies down their chins when they are getting teeth.
24. The church bells in celebration
25. All that we could hear was the gunet ____ of machinery
From the list lettered A-D, choose the word that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the words/group of words underlined and that will at the same time, correctly fill the gap in questions 26 — 35.
26. I met her mother recently.
A. long ago
B. not long ago
27. She rejected the offer of admission into the Nigerian Defence Academy
D. turned down
28. I rue the day I met him
29. If the weather continues like this, farmers would expect a bumper harvest this year.
30. The decree has been abrogated.
31. He has shown himself to be quite an amiable character.
32. There was an abundance of rainfall last year.
33. The school teacher carries himself with an air of indolence.
34. The ambassador was subjected to treatment throughout his incarceration.
35. The lady seemed quite aware of everything around.
From the alternatives A-D, choose the word nearest in meaning to the underlined word in questions 36-40.
36. The Journalist refused to divulge the source of his information.
37. Asabe was sceptical about the story Ladidi told her.
38. The lawyer remarked that the fact that the accused did nothing when the innocent boy was being lynched made him culpable.
39. Spain was once a very powerful nation but her influence has waned over the years.
40. The politician made a very scurrilous remark about his opponent.
Share This Post: If you believe this post will be useful to others, please share it using the buttons below!