Nigeria Police Academy, NPA Cut-Off Mark: The Nigerian Police Academy, located in Wudil, Kano State, is the premier police training institution in Nigeria. The Academy offers academic programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate levels focused on training future police officers.
Gaining admission into the Nigerian Police Academy is highly competitive. A key determining factor is meeting the stipulated cut off marks for the various entry paths.
In this comprehensive article, we provide detailed information on the cut off marks for admission into the Nigerian Police Academy for the 2023/2024 academic session.
Overview of the Nigerian Police Academy
The Nigerian Police Academy (NPA) first opened in February 1988 and runs under the administration of the Nigeria Police Force.
NPA offers academic and law enforcement courses leading to the award of Bachelor’s degrees and postgraduate qualifications in diverse programmes including:
- BSc in Criminology and Security Studies
- BSc in Peace and Conflict Studies
- BSc in Political Science and International Relations
- Postgraduate Diploma in Police Science and Management
- MSc in Police Leadership and Management
- MSc in Criminology and Security Management
The Academy has full accreditation from the National Universities Commission. Graduates can choose to join the Police Force or pursue civilian careers in law enforcement, security, criminology and other fields.
Entry Requirements into Nigerian Police Academy
To qualify for admission into any of the Nigerian Police Academy's programmes, applicants must:
- Complete secondary education with minimum of 5 O’level credits including English and Mathematics.
- Meet prescribed cut-off marks for chosen programme in UTME or direct entry exams
- Be medically, physically and psychologically fit based on health assessments
- Undergo and pass screening and selection processes including interviews and examinations
- Be within the acceptable age limit (not above 22 years for UTME, 25 years for direct entry)
- Possess requisite good character with no criminal record
NPA Cut Off Marks for 2023/2024 Academic Session
The management of the Nigerian Police Academy outlines admission cut off marks annually for various programmes across the following entry paths:
1. UTME Merit Admission
This is for secondary school leavers seeking admission through UTME/JAMB. The approved UTME cut off marks for 2023/2024 session are:
- Peace and Conflict Studies - 180
- Criminology and Security Studies - 190
- Political Science and International Relations - 200
2. Direct Entry Admission
For holders of OND, HND, NCE, IJMB or JUPEB applying for direct entry. The stipulated cut off marks are:
- OND (Upper Credit) - 12 points
- OND (Lower Credit) - 8 points
- HND (Upper Credit) - 15 points
- HND (Lower Credit) - 12 points
3. Postgraduate Admission
Candidates seeking postgraduate admission into PGD, MSc and PhD programmes must meet these cut off marks:
- PGD - 50% or 3.0 CGPA at BSc level
- MSc - 60% or 3.5 CGPA at BSc level
- PhD - 60% at MSc level
In addition, some programmes may stipulate higher cut off marks subject to competition and admission quota.
Impact of Cut Off Marks on Chances of Admission
The Police Academy admission cut off marks serve as the baseline entry requirement. However, meeting the prescribed cut off mark does not guarantee admission.
Due to high competition, candidates who score 10 or more marks above the defined cut offs for their programme have higher chances of admission.
Furthermore, qualifying scores in other stages like aptitude tests, interviews and medicals also affect admission chances. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to aim higher than basic cut off marks for their chosen programme.
Other Factors that Influence Cut Off Marks
Certain prevailing elements contribute to determining the Police Academy's cut off marks for different programmes annually. Key factors include:
- Academic performance statistics of previous admission candidates
- Number of qualified applicants per programme
- Available admission quota per department
- Overall JAMB benchmarks and guidelines
By considering these parameters, the management sets cut off marks tailored to the competitiveness of each programme.
We hope this detailed guide provides helpful information about the official NPF approved cut off marks for admission into undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at the Nigerian Police Academy for the 2023/2024 academic session.
Candidates seeking admission are advised to work towards attaining the stipulated cut off marks and above to enhance their prospects.